Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Old Havana


In the arched doorway a man sits behind a crate covered in shoes. His sign reads “Just Do Me.” I ask if I can have a picture and he asks me where I’m from. “Soy de Los Estados Unidos.”

In perfect English the man replies, “I have been reading about the history of the United States. Have you heard of Helen Keller?” Si. “Is it true that she was deaf, blind and mute?” Es la verdad.

As the man begins to resole the shoes stacked on his in-bin he marvels at such talent. “Such amazing people!”

Having won his approval he commands me to take the picture. I pull out my camera and frame the scene. A man, his work and all of his potential boxed into a single square. One step backwards and it all fits. Smile and say “Queso!”

Smile and say Castro.

5 Comments:

At 7:10 AM, Blogger Kara Alison said...

Jason - The trip really was amazing. There are some more posts to come, including some photos from the cemetary. It was spectacular.

Cuba was an incredible dose of reality. I've learned so much and I can't wait to share more. It's just amazing how well educated the people there are. Consistently, every person I met was extremely smart and usually bilingual. This is surprising when one considers that I met a lot of cab drivers, shoemakers and various other street vendors. The expectation did not fit the reality. This is one of the effects of their current incentives. Education and health are guaranteed, but self-fulfillment is rather limited. What a fascinating place.

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Jeff said...

Welcome back, Kara. I hope you had a nice trip. :)
btw- Nice photo.

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Kara Alison said...

I did! Thanks!

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger Michele said...

Kara! You're Back!! Woohoo! So happy to see your post! Well, your comment too, LOL!! Guess you got an eyefull on my blog, sorry about that *grin*

Anyway, great pic and story that went with yours. I'm looking forward to your insights. I still to this day, do not understand why Cuba still has santions against it. If we can do business with China, we should be able to afford Cuba the same consideration. So days the Naive one.
Welcome back, Kara ...

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Kara Alison said...

Michele, I agree. Being there made me realize how our governments (on both sides) seem to be acting like stubborn children. At this point we're just crossing our arms across our chests, pointing to the other and saying, "but he started it!"

Perhaps there are things I don't know about that go into consideration though. I hate to play the expert when it's not appropriate. That's only my limited perception.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home