Saturday, March 04, 2006

I'm actually not trying to be controversial

(My goal, rather, is to point out a interesting observation I made a couple of weeks ago.)

We were reading Le Spleen de Paris (The Parisian Prowler) by Charles Baudelaire. Our class discussion led us to the fact that he had a mistress. This work was first published in the early 1860s. This affair would thus have been all the more gossip worthy because his mistress was a woman of color.

In itself, I find this information to be not all that shocking. What became interesting was what my professor said to describe the woman. As the discussion turned to poems such as Beautiful Dorothy he explained who this "Dorothy" might have been.

"At the time, it was commonly known that Baudelaire had an African-American mistress."

Excuse me?!? Did anyone else catch that? Baudelaire was French. He lived in France (as the French tend to). One dead give-away is the reference to the city Paris right in the title!

So what am I getting at? Well, "Dorothy" couldn't exactly have been African-American if she was French. African-French maybe, but I somehow doubt that's what the common phrasing was there, particularly at that time.

This brings me to my main point: I think we've gone well beyond the original intention of "Politically Correct." Personally, if I ever feel the need to discuss a person's skin color, I would generally call people who appear to be of African descent "black." I'm not trying to cling to the status quo. I use the more general term for accuracy really. Now if I were to ever be corrected, I'd absolutely change the terminology I used for the person requesting the change, but I prefer not to assume too much before I know that is the proper term for a person.

I think the civil rights movement took the United States a long way in the right direction. People know that to judge a person's "content" and "character" based on his or her skin color is wrong. Why then, do we accept that we can know a person's ancestry or native country based on this same criteria?

I discussed, recently, with a friend from Nigeria how he would feel if someone referred to him as "African-American." His response indicated that he would not be too pleased. And what about the many people living in the Carribean, or in Central and South America (or all over the world for that matter)? They are neither African nor American. We need to be careful how we use such terms. Perhaps they have gone from used to abused?

I have no problem with these politically correct terms. I will use them when I know they are accurate. I simply refuse to assume that much about a person when all I know for sure is that their skin indicates a heritage different from my own.

5 Comments:

At 7:56 AM, Blogger Kara Alison said...

Believe it or not, I don't view George W as someone worthy of emulation.

Correct me if I'm being unrealistic (which does seem to happen), but what we do is programmed, then can't we program ourselves to stop and think about what we say and do? Can't we program ourselves to question that which intuitively does not seem right?

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Michele said...

You CAN question, if the question is revealed to you.
By that, I mean, if one grows up in the (for the sake of arguement) in the Deep South, where bigotry still holds pockets in it's firm grip, the children will be immersed in a certain way of thinking, believing and perception. Should they never leave that environment, that "programming" will never get an "update". No "downloads" of current PC or enlightened thoughts. They do not have what they' ll need to "program themselves" differently. Intuition needs to be a planted seed before it can grow.
Remember, the accepted fact that the "world was flat". It took men of courage and adventure to go forth and PROVE the horizon was the beginning of the world, not the end. So too with general human nature.
Before the World is Round wave hit, many Flatworlders went out within their own sphere and taught THEIR truth. Change didn't happen over night. Same for views of race/color/religious issues.
The fact that people CAN question, DO question and are finding answers is a only one step on the right path to brotherhood based on who we ARE, not what we LOOK like.

Those that CAN question are like you, who "do". It will start with one person at a time..passing the word out to others. Who turn around and do the same.

Frankly, I'm glad you wrote this post. I give myself a headache thinking of the "right" way to refer to others that doesn't have me suffering from "foot in mouth" syndrome or feeling like someone is shooting daggers at me with their eyes. Ignorance is NOT bliss.
So...bottom line..it's OK to say that they are black. period. I don't have to go around with a Thesaurus to figure out if they are Black-black, South American Black, Jamaican Black, Mexican Black or Aztec Black. How the hell would we know anyway? They certainly don't going around saying "Hmmm, is she German white, Candandian White, American White or Whole Wheat." We sound like Breads and Pastries for goodness sake!!!!

If we say Black and they say, I'm from Greece and we are Greecian Black...great! For that person, we'll honor their wishes and ways. Easy enough when they clue us in. Otherwise....
Sing with me...
The world is Black, The world is White, together we learn to read and write.... (or is it "we see the light?")
OK, I'm like WAY too verbose and full of rambling prattle. Sorry.
I always seem to do that here!!!

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger SuperBee said...

Tru Dat, Yo.

Didn't we learn in school that black people wanted to be called, "Black?" That's what I've stuck to. African-American is totally right...for a segment of the population. Black is just easier though. It's all encompassing. And contrary to what we were taught, it's not offensive; or if it is, you can't please all of the people all of the time. It's a neutral race term. If black people want to be called Brown, I'llcall black people Brown. If they want to be "People of Color," I'd call them people of color, although that's way more encompassing than "Black" or "Brown." Black is just easier -- and less prone to those errors which you just pointed out.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger MacDuff said...

I think you will find that the objectional bit is the 'American'.

Lights blue touch paper and retires immediately......................

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Kara Alison said...

Michele - I'm glad we can have this discussion. It's a tough one to have sometimes, but it's good to get it out there. It's important to be able to question what we accept as right. Even that changes. THe only real constant is that one should always seek right, even if that is 180 degrees from where it was yesterday. Thanks for your thoughts.

Jer - General is definitely better until you know for sure. I think Catania taught us that.

MacDuff - awwwww. That hurt! My giant American ego has shriveled! The only way to remedy this situation is for me to travel the world boasting the superiority of "This Great Nation" so that you inferiors will understand. Do you guys even have Television in the UK? (hehe...)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home