Sunday, February 05, 2006

Syd

A visit to Howard Beach meant a visit to Aunt Syd. From grandmother’s house to Brooklyn. Up to the eleventh floor. Hugs and kisses, tea and cookies. Run to the back window to check if it’s still there. Green spikes and an eternal flame are just a speck on the jagged horizon. Which one is the empire state building? Twins tower in the distance. Are you still hungry? Have some more cookies. Hugs and kisses, food coma and naps.

On our way home - To the home. Syd waits in her wheelchair. No tea and cookies. Just waiting. Conversation - obligation. You like the sweet stuff don’t you Aunt Syd? Have some of your pudding. Not hungry anymore? Just a couple more bites.

A skeleton covered in skin. I wish I’d die in my sleep tonight. Another bite.

Sleep tight Aunt Syd.

6 Comments:

At 7:49 AM, Blogger Tsavo Leone said...

You're getting rather good at this, aren't you?

I hope my previous comments made it to you (even though they failed to show up on-line thanks to Blogger playing silly).

Be good to your children: they're the ones who pay your rest home bills.

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger Kara Alison said...

I didn't see the last comments. Alas...I will just have to live with the knowledge that I'll never read them.

Thank you very much. I'm working on it.

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger Jeff said...

Very powerful writing, Kara.

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger Kara Alison said...

Jeff and Jason - Thank you. It was hard to write that, but I wanted to capture what I was thinking while the feelings were still fresh.

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Michele said...

That was great!
It really touched me.
How we see them as children, and what happens to relationships when we grow up, when those that were vibrant in our youth, grow old. How we wish that they were still as we remembered them as we got old enough to appreciate what they were.

 
At 7:12 PM, Blogger Kara Alison said...

Michele - so true. That sort of brings a tear to my eye.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home