Sunday, January 01, 2006

Mother's Lament

I promise that I will write more after I have returned to school for the spring semester. Until that time, please enjoy some lyrics that have had me chuckling for years.

Mother's Lament as performed by Cream in Disraeli Gears

"A mother was washing her baby one night;
The youngest of ten and a delicate mite.
The mother was poor and the baby was thin;
'Twas naught but a skeleton covered with skin.

The mother turned 'round for a soap off the rack.
She was only a moment but when she turned back
Her baby had gone, and in anguish she cried,
"Oh, where has my baby gone?" The angels replied:

Oh, your baby has gone down the plug hole.
Oh, your baby has gone down the plug.
The poor little thing was so skinny and thin,
He should have been washed in a jug, in a jug.

Your baby is perfectly happy;
He won't need a bath anymore.
He's a-muckin' about with the angels above,
Not lost but gone before."

I love this band. I have no idea where this came from. The only writing credit listed on the album is "traditional." Anyone know?

5 Comments:

At 8:10 AM, Blogger Michele said...

Can't help you there. Never heard of the band or the song.

What a strange topic to sing about.

Impossible though. The bottom of a drain pipe has that U-turn, the kid should have been stuck there, cuz bones don't bend.
Unless he was the misbegotten son of Elastoman.....

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger Kara Alison said...

Elastoman! Aha! That sneaky devil.

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger Jeff said...

I have no idea where the lyrics came from but I like the lament. :)

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Tsavo Leone said...

I've a copy of the album here but can't tell you anything more about the song in question. That's not unusual though, as most of the British Blues bands of that era performed Standards (incl. Led Zepplin).

If you're really *really* wanting to know more, you might try looking into the Mississippi (sp?) and Delta Blues standards (Howling Wolf and the like)...

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Kara Alison said...

I suppose I'll have to google this at some point. Otherwise it would seem that I'm not going to have my answer. Oh well, it's amusing either way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home