Friday, December 23, 2005

An Open Letter to Hollywood Celebrities and their Cohorts

Credit for the format on this post goes to my friend at Superbee's Philosophy (link to the right). The open letter is the perfect way for me to communicate my feelings on this serious matter.

Dear Famous People,

It is my opinion (which, let the record show, is a highly informed and well thought out one) that you take your "jobs" and your "lives" far too seriously. I therefore consider it my duty to put you back into your places.

Let's start with the profession of acting. Acting, as far as I can tell, is the career choice of people who wish to do one (or more) of these three things: Make assloads of money, Get assloads of "action," or play make-believe for the rest of their lives. Now I'm not saying I wouldn't jump at the chance to make that kind of cash for being a live action puppet (well...who knows), but I don't think I'd try to convince myself that I was bettering the state of humanity in so doing. Hell, actors never have to grow up. Most of us only do that because we feel we have to. I wanna be an actor and have a big pool with a slide too! Then MTV can come to my house and I can show them where the magic happens!

I do have to admit, even though you annoy me when you make your public statements about whatever the issue du jour is, I can sympathize with your motives. You think you're helping. You want to make the world a better place and you think that since you have all of that money and influence you should speak out! Awww....that is so cute. I just want to pat you on the head and give you a cookie. I'll tell you what: You contribute money to whatever you like, but please don't associate your name or face with any cause. Your celebrity does not add credibility to anyone's plight.

Here's what I know. I've seen you doing interviews. I've heard your attempts at being articulate. Aside from a few (and that is VERY few) exceptions, you are not smart. You don't seem to comprehend the definitions of a lot of big words and your grammar is appalling (that means "surprising in a bad way," for anyone who didn't know). I've actually read that more vacant minded (read: stupid) people are better at acting. This is because they don't have all of those pesky thoughts clouding their ability to assume the role of whichever character they are playing. To you I say: Great! If you're not so bright, then you fit the qualifications for the job. Just don't think now that you've won the popularity contest you should start spouting wisdom. Those great lines you've been reading were written by people with some brains. Their job is to make you sound interesting. If you could do it yourself, you wouldn't need them.

So we've established that you are immature and less than brilliant. I suppose there's nothing really objectionable about that. You can't help it, right? So what I am writing this letter for? Good question! I'm so glad you asked.

I'm sick and tired of hearing about your lives. I will try to explain this simply: When I turn on the news, I want to hear about the world and the important events that will affect my life. I'm talking world hunger, sickness, economic/trade policy...you get the idea (I hope). I do not care who you are dating or which designer made your dress. I especially don't care when you start congratulating each other on how great you've been in this or that film. You're wasting my time. I don't want to sift through your inflated vision of yourself to get to reality. I do not want to know anything about you personally.

Here's how I see you and your industry. You are like old time street performers. The directors turn the crank on the music box. You actors are the cute little monkeys wearing vests and fezzes. I am the hard working citizen who walks by, chuckles, and decides whether to toss a quarter into the up-turned hat at your director's feet. You are a dancing monkey. You dance for me. Your job is to be cute and amuse me.

All I ask is that you keep a little perspective. You're already getting paid in mass quantities to do a job that a lot of people would do for free. Could you try to remember who the boss really is?

Yours Truly,
Kara

13 Comments:

At 12:00 PM, Blogger Tsavo Leone said...

Whilst I heartily concur with your sentiments, might it not all the fault of the actor, actress, or celebrity-of-the-minute?

The media coverage of any given 'celebrity' is linked, one way or another, to their perceived newsworthiness, or, more accurately, their sellability. To put it more bluntly, if we're buying it then they sure as shoot ain't gonna stop selling it.

Yes, you can argue that Tom Cruise is simply a trained monkey. Likewise Johnny Depp, Brad Pitt, Benecio del Toro, etc. So does it come as any surprise that they act the way they do when someone thrusts a camera/microphone into their face? We are in agreement that their intentions may be noble, even if their beliefs are contrary to our own (e.g. Tom Cruise and mental health disorders), yet neither of us really cares what they have to say (for different reasons perhaps?). And yet, if it were not for some celebrity endorsements and/or their patronage of righteous causes, might not certain charities/organisations be in the position they are now?

Mightn't it be that the celebrities aren't the trained monkeys after all? I mean, who exactly is buying the supermarket tabloid exposes, or watching the daytime/late-night TV gossip shows?

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger SuperBee said...

Well. Said. :) haha Monkeys...

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Kara Alison said...

Yes. the public will believe what you tell them to. This is why I want to go into marketing. Though I'd say that the media has a responsibility to portray important events and not overplay the importance of celebrity gossip.

I'm about to sound like an asshole. I simply think that I am smarter than the average person. I don't buy the "stuff" that celebrities spout on faith. I don't think that they have something important to say just because they can say it in that actor's important tone of voice. I also feel that the media has a responsibility to report facts and events rather than catering to the desires of the public. Honestly, if the media reported only what we wanted to hear, then we'd get no real news at all.

There's a lot of blame to be assigned here. In this case, I just wanted to knock down some actors. Maybe the media will be next.

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Tsavo Leone said...

Kara, you don't sound like an asshole by saying that you are smarter than the average person. It's just unfortunate that we (the smart ones) are in the minority.

I'm not sure you can really assign any blame for this, other than blaming society as a whole. At one point in time the media may have actually provided a service to society, but then it realised that it held power over society and so became a business. It no longer gives us what we genuinely need (or want), it simply comvimces us that we really need/want something it has to offer and then sells it to us at an overly inflated price.

Those (celebrities) who play along with it's interests are championed, and those who do not are sacrificed (and their careers are usually ruined in the process).

 
At 11:59 PM, Blogger Kara Alison said...

I guess my youthful ideals are getting in the way of my ability to process reality again. I just feel like the media should operate not as a business, but as a service...a public service. Their duty is to report news regardless of profit potential. It is unethical to operate any other way. Alas...I think my ideals are probably unrealistic here.

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger MacDuff said...

In UK we have the BBC funded entirely by the taxpayer.
There is also GMTV a purely commercial station.
In the mornings the format of the two programs is very similar in appearance. The 'genes' of one are 'public service' and the genes of the other are commercial greed. And yet they have evolved into the same kind of animal. There is a special name for evolution coming up with the same shape but down different lines in order to survive.
The point is that both animals need to parade celebrities regullarly. Dont ask me why I would never knowingly pay a penny to see or hear any of them.

 
At 11:50 PM, Blogger Kara Alison said...

This is very interesting. I suppose that just puts me in the minorty then. I don't want to know a thing about them.

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Michele said...

Unfortunately, our preoccupation with celebreties has been well documented. I have a little book printed in 1953 whose original cost was 10 cents. It covers so many celebreties back then. Of course, we now know that most of the coverage was staged, orchestrated and preplanned. We've been programed early on for that fluff to matter.
Now, the acting profession is independent of the media moguls like Jack Warner and the like.
I've always wondered if that was such a good idea?

Here's a quote from way back regarding women:

"A Hollywood charm school pinned this motto to the classroom wall,
"Think Mink" ...

Hopefully, we have we come a long from accepting that as being
advice to live by.

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Kara Alison said...

Hi Michele - I think political figures have historically faced the same scrutiny. Now that it's no longer staged, we have to wonder if it isn't a huge invaison of privacy along with a waste of time. Interesting.

Think mink...and here I was thinking relevant thoughts! Whoops!

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Tsavo Leone said...

Interesting item:

Whilst checking the day's TV listings I caught a snippet of a trailer for Mission: Impossible III (which is due out this year) on a film review show, followed by one of the presenters commenting to the effect that "... no-one takes Tom Cruise seriously now though..."

I found this quite irritating. What does one TV presenter's point of view regarding Tom Cruise as a person have to do with his work as an actor/producer?

This is kind of what I was referring to earlier. Another example of those within the media and their inflated sense of self-importance. Offer opinions on the film by all means (it's what you're paid to do), not on the people making it.

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger Kara Alison said...

Exactly! I NEVER want to know so much about a celebrity that they ruin what should be my entertainment experience.

Tom Cruise is a crazy monkey though.

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Tsavo Leone said...

Just a quickie, in a suitable place, to say 'Ta much' for dropping in and sampling my wears... we have such sights to show you...

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger Kara Alison said...

I'll be sure to check in again. Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home