Sunday, October 09, 2005

Taking Liberty

There was something she loved about writing in the third person. The words were somehow more electric, more romantic without the, "I thinks, I dids, I ams." There was a certain anonymity and a distance placed between herself and her actions.

The liked the idea of being narrator to her own life. It added poetry [and a level of literary freedom] to otherwise mundane events. Now she was a character on a page. She might play the part of herione with the world as her damsel in distress. Perhaps she would need saving, but her tragedy could become beautiful.

She could place the perspective of observing herself through the eyes of another into each situation she had experienced. What was left out though, was the agonizing and the obsessing. What blazed true was her action. The internal struggle that led to eventual action dropped away entirely. It was her choice to include some mental process or eliminate any tug of war that she deemed unworthy of sharing. She no longer had to be human. She could elevate herself to goddess or paint herself as a pitiful creature.

Suddenly her experiences seemed newer, brighter, sharper, more exciting and the grass was effectively greener on her own side.

5 Comments:

At 1:45 PM, Blogger Kara Alison said...

I always have a lot of ideas, and little to no time to work on them. What I'd really like to do is take a writing course while I'm still at the university, but I have a feeling I won't be able to do that. I'm not sure how an MBA justifies a class in writing. I guess I'll have to get creative! (HA! I'll be here all week folks...)

 
At 4:10 AM, Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

He understood the way she felt.

Objectivity, to him, meant a certain amount of poetic license could be employed, whereas writing in the first person demanded a sense of honesty that could sometimes restrict his desire to express himself freely.

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Kara Alison said...

Yes and yes! What she liked best though was that it allowed more readers to relate to her work. The added element of ambiguity gave the reader the chance to interpret in his or her own way. Words could reach out in a way that the writer had never even thought of.

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger SuperBee said...

HE DID THAT ONCE TOO!

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger SuperBee said...

Oh, yeah. And I also meant to tell you, I absolutely love the blog. Remember way back when, when we were first getting literate in Elementary School? There was a reason that we were both in "Flights" as opposed to whatever the other reading group was. We were smart. And we got to see Catania fart on the chair...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home