Friday, September 23, 2005

Paris vs Jessica

Hmmmm, how can I put this gently and subtly....

I HATE JESSICA SIMPSON

I really do. At first I thought these feelings would fade. My knee jerk reaction to her name/image would cease to be. My intensity was simply a reverse infatuation and could not sustain itself. It turns out though, that my feelings are the same today as they were a year ago (and even further back).

As I share my feelings in conversation, the comment that I invariably hear is, "You must really hate Paris Hilton too." Not at all. I have no problem with Paris or any of her little posse. I do not care for her, and would not wish to befriend her. However, she does not embody the evil with which I associate Jessica. "But both Paris and Jessica profit from their stupidity!" They exclaim. I agree, but the problem is more complex than this.

A series of questions should suffice to explain what I see as a glaring difference:

Does Paris claim that she is wholesome?
Do little girls buy Paris' album?
Do little girls look at Paris' life on TV with her Barbie dream house and Ken-doll husband and think how they'd love to live that fairy tale as well?
Does Paris EVER say she's a role model?

It is not even relevant to further argue about Paris' shortcomings because we see that Paris is honest. Is she a little bit skanky? Absolutely. Does she try to pretend that she is not? Never. She goes out, drinks a bunch, gets "some" and all this while fielding an onslaught of phone calls regarding the cuteness of various accessories. Never has she tried to be an example for our girls. Never has she implied that she should be emulated in any way. She's just doing her thing.

Now let's talk about Jessica. There are two possibilities which might explain her mental process. First, perhaps she really is that stupid. If this is the case, then I simply feel sorry for her. The responsiblity is in the hands of the producers etc.

The second (and more likely) possibility is that she is actually playing a part. It has been suggested to me as if this actually excuses her behavior. I would argue that this makes her all the more vile. She has placed herself in a position where little girls and boys want to be like her (or be with a girl like her). She is sending the message to children that it is cute to be stupid. That boys will like you if you act stupid. Helplessness is virtuous.

Jessica was once asked in an interview whether or not it was an act. Her response was, "When I was growing up, boys always liked it when I acted this way." This is the clincher. She knows what she's doing. She's making money off of it. She's damaging impressionable little girls. Jessica Simpson is evil. She is decieving people for her own profit. She is without integrity.

I protest. Stupid is not cute.

1 Comments:

At 8:46 AM, Blogger Kara Alison said...

I see your point, however, I feel the key is in where the responsibility lies. In Paris' case, her primary responsibility is to be honest (as it should be for all people). The next step in the hierarchy is then for Paris to be consistent. Paris is honest in that she is a skanky rich girl who wants to make a living off of partying and making the occasional "really cool handbag" (or was that Nikki? Oh well, who cares?). If magazines put her on the cover, she gets paid (or at least she gets pubilicity which leads to getting paid). This is consistent, as far as I can tell.

Personally, I do not lead my life the way that Paris does, but we have different motivations. I'm hesitant to criticize her for her actions that seem to serve a clear motivation, albeit different from my own. My criticism goes to the ad agencies, publicists and parents who don't talk with their kids.

Oh, and she's GOT to have cooties by now...ick.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home