Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Wanted

I'm a recent MBA graduate. Now, I could do the "traditional" thing and go for a fancy corporate gig. I could work my brains out (in a fairly inefficient way that does not fully utilize my talents). I could wear suits every day and chuckle with the guys around the water cooler (do they still do that?). Honestly, I'd probably be good at it! I'm smart, skilled, quick-witted and charming. I just can't help but think that this isn't the ideal path though.

I've decided the best thing for me to do is to instead seek a sponsor.

Now I don't mean that I want a sugar daddy. I certainly have no interest in trading sexual favors for a weekly allowance. My promise is a much bigger one.

I promise to produce greatness. Can I tell you how? Can I specify the form? Can I even point to the path? Well...no. But isn't that just how greatness happens? I have all of the necessary tools: Drive, ambition, intelligence, charisma and a desire to make a mark on the world. I'm seeking the famous and all too elusive truth.

That said, I want a person who already has abundant financial resources. A person who will not miss the investment I require at all. A person who's not afraid to take a risk (and a rather small one at that)! The return: I'm going to improve the state of the world. Granted, this improvement may not take place overnight. We probably won't be able to measure it in any exact way. We probably will not witness the hurricane that results from my wing flapping in our lifetimes. We will simply have to be content with the fact that we have not accepted the world as it is. We have instead embraced the idea that one person can make a difference. She just has to try.

So, given my guarantee (that can not be traced, measured or proven - a little faith is necessary here), it seems like the return will far outweigh any montary investment. Please note, this IS an investment - not a donation. My sponsor will get something back. Something awesome (in the originally intended definition of the word).

Me: A very determined and capable woman who wants to put in the effort
You: The means to make it happen

What a deal!

I'm currently accepting applications.

4 Comments:

At 5:43 PM, Blogger Kara Alison said...

I figure honesty is the best policy.

Wow! That changes everything. Corporate, here I come!

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Kara Alison said...

Nah, it's not that hard. I've been doing plenty of interviewing and I'll (probably) have a job before I know it. I just figured I might as well try for the perfect position while I'm at it.

I agree on the kids thing. I plan to have some...someday...

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Michele said...

You have a better chance than I.
Have every confidence that you will be sought after.

I face going back into the workforce after 6 years at a stay-at-home mom. Technology has infiltrated all office work of which I know nada.
*sigh*
I'm very nervous about it all.
I have to write myself a resume all over again - cover letters..gone are the days when you just filled out an application, now you have to market your application before it even gets looked at.

You WILL get a job soon. The odds are in your favor.

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Kara Alison said...

Gosh, it sure is nice that people are confident for me. I'm thinking (hoping) you're right!

There is a lot that goes into getting a job (at least one that doesn't involve wearing a hair net - not to say that there's any shame in that). I am all too familiar with resumes, references, cover letters, networking, hand shaking, testing...

It's a process - a stressful one. Good luck to you and don't sell yourself short. If your blog is any indication, then you certainly have a clue about technology (which is well above "nada"). You also know a lot more than many who wouldn't even have heard of a cover letter.

It can be a long and frustrating undertaking, but stick it out and you will find what you're looking for.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home